RE: Stealth marketing writing

Subject: RE: Stealth marketing writing
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 11:29:02 -0500

>> OTOH, marcom by someone who knows what they are doing is the stuff that
>> nobody realizes is marketing writing, but for some reason, they have an
>> urge to purchase the product.
>
>Like product descriptions in the old J. Peterman catalogs. :-) ;-)

Hi, Amy....I'm not familiar with that catalog.

When I said ya end up with the urge to buy, I'm not so much thinking of
copyediting, as marketing technical writing.

Think of a proposal. Two identical deliverables may have the following
content:

1) The Ajax M-349-a; revision 3 mu-plexor transmits data at a rate of 348
mbits per cycle.

This is perfectly accurate and to the writer, says "WOW! You gotta get
yourself one of them!" OTOH, it might not say this to the buyer because he
might not know that 348 mbits per cycle is that good or what it is going to
do for his company.

2) The Ajax M-349-a; revision 3 mu-plexor is the latest in our series of
mu-plexors incorporating phase 4 mu technology, with the result that your
data is transmitted at 348 mbits per cycle. This is 23% greater than your
current capability and will result in a 35.7% reduction in plant-to-field
deployment and an ROI of 18 weeks.

Now...if you are looking for a mu-plexor, which one might you want to buy?

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com
212-414-6656
"Be accurate...the 4am wakeup call you prevent could be your manager's"

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com