Writer's Block and Favorite W & TW Books

Subject: Writer's Block and Favorite W & TW Books
From: CarolAnne -dot- Wall -at- minnesotamutual -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 07:35:30 -0600

Andrew Brooke wrote:
Fictional writers are a different breed than tech writers. For one thing,
we never get "writer's block' -
do we?

I frequently have writer's block on the job, and I just keep writing
anyway. That's what editing is for. (BTW, I do my own editing, so the
pain is self-inflicted.) My favorite book on writing, "Bird by Bird" by
Anne Lamott, gave me the tip to just keep writing. I live by her concept
of first drafts -- that they are brain dumping grounds and frequently not
too good. I modify that my doing my darnest to make that first draft
isnever seen beyond my desk. What my readers think is a first draft is
really a second or third draft of my work. But even those drafts can be
ugly, if the project is not progressing well, or quickly.

My favorite TW book is "The Chicago Manual of Style". Whenever I have a
question, it always has an answer. I love it.

Carol Anne

Carol Anne T. Wall, FLMI
Technical Writer - Individual Business Technology, Minnesota Life Insurance
Company
carolanne -dot- wall -at- minnesotamutual -dot- com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com