Re: perception of user experience levels

Subject: Re: perception of user experience levels
From: Anthony Davey <ant -at- ant-davey -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 17:34:57 +0000

Sean,

I have run into something similar and hear of some similar stories, if I'm on the right track... I have had to document global procedures for a multinational where some companies were still running legacy systems many years on, and had not switched to the 'standard' software package. Others were, ostensibly, running accounting systems on paper, so had no idea of how to use IT for the processes.

Just to make sure I know what I'm talking about, could someone please tell me what an SME is? I have assumed that it stands for Senior Management Executive, but may be completely wrong. In the UK it is an abbreviation for Small or Medium-sized Enterprise.

Best regards,
Ant
Sean Hower wrote:

Lately, I've been noticing that some of the SMEs I work with assume our clients are experienced users who, if they're worth what they're getting paid, should already understand many of the intricacies of our product. Our trainers say that many of our users have never used a computer before. I find this contradiction interesting, if not annoying when I'm trying to get information from the SMEs.

Anyone else run into this contradiction?

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com