RE: best practices for factory worker/plant personnel documentati on

Subject: RE: best practices for factory worker/plant personnel documentati on
From: "Domaschuk, Rob" <Robd -at- datalogics -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 11:41:01 -0600

Dianne asks:

> What's the best format to use when documenting operating
> procedures inside a plant?

What type of plant? Are you talking more of an indoor tree like a Hybiscus,
or more of tropical fern? HAHAHAHAHAHA

Okay, okay.

I've done quite a bit of this, and there were (and are always) some other
influencing forces. What's being documented? How much time will be required
to learn the procedures? Will the plant workers be allowed time off the
floor to read/learn? Is there room on the plant floor for a kiosk? How often
will the information change? How long.... ahh, you get the point.

My favorite project was a short series of comic-book type docs. More
graphical, laced with humor, short, colofurl, and to the point. It was
received quite well by the people it was targeted at (but wasn't
condescending in tone or nature). The only roadblock was that it was
something that had never been done before, therefore we had to argue with
some upper-management types to let us do it.

Rob Domaschuk | 312.853.8337 - p
Technical Writer | 719.623.7431 - f
Datalogics, inc. | www.datalogics.com

"In the bodies of old men wine lingers on,
attracted by the dryness there."
- Plutarchus

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com