RE: Terminology: NIC on board ?

Subject: RE: Terminology: NIC on board ?
From: "Richard" <richard -dot- smith -at- windriver -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 10:01:35 -0800

I think most technical people will understand what NIC on board means, but
another common way I've seen this is a rephrase as something like the "xyz53
Motherboard has an integrated ehternet controller." It is more words which,
of course, is engineering heresy, but it is clear. Also, in terms of specs,
I'd look for more detail than just "NIC on board." Is it a 10/100 NIC, a
gigabit ethernet NIC? and so on. Is it on the main board, is on on a carrier
board? What kind of NIC is it, what chipset is it? and so forth.

but that's a whole nuther issue I guess.

havfe fun,
--

Richard Smith
Technical Writer

| I've got a jargon situation (again). I'm editing some technical
| specifications, and I'm faced with the term "on board," as in "NIC on
| board" (also "RAID on board"). Author tells me this means the network
| interface card is on the motherboard (as opposed to a PCI card).

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com