RE: Non Tech Writing Experience on Resume?

Subject: RE: Non Tech Writing Experience on Resume?
From: JB Foster <jb -dot- foster -at- shaw -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 11:18:20 -0700

Hi Esther,

I suffer from arthritis, so I have some gaps in my resume; and one is almost
two years in length. By changing to only the years of employment (i.e.
1996-2000), I have found that the chronological style is still effective for
me. So far, employers have never noticed or cared about it. Therefore, I'd
presume that it would be still safe for you to use the chronological style.

Supposedly, the functional style is more effective if you've been out of the
field for a long time, or haven't been in the field long. It may also be the
most effective for 'contract type' work, since that would be the main focus
of a perspective employer (i.e. determining not where you've been, but what
you can do).

If I were you, would not tell a prospective employer that you decided to
pack it in and become a chef. That might not go over too well. However,
there is nothing wrong with saying that you were able to afford to take a
year off, and wanted to peruse a hobby; so you went back to school. Then
after graduating, decided to get some training. Now that's all behind you,
and you are now ready to get back into tech-writing. Again, that would be
something saved for when you have a foot in the door. Also, I don't think an
employer would look down at taking a sabbatical; and if they did (and are
that anal), maybe you don't really want to work for them.

You might be interested in the following two URL's on resumes. The last one
is more specific to tech-writing. As well, Techwr-L also has a page on
resume writing that's worth looking at.

http://www.synergistech.com/i-resume.htm
http://www.rockportinstitute.com/resumes.html

Good luck, and Hope this is of help.

Bruce

Esther Willard wrote:

> I have been out of the technical writing world since this past
> February when
> my last contract ended. While I have been looking for other TW
> gigs, I took
> advantage of the timing and entered another world by attending culinary
> school and working in professional kitchens. ...

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com