breaking into science writing

Subject: breaking into science writing
From: "Kelvin Keh" <kelvin -at- inbiotech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 01:25:01 +0800

Hi all,

Just like to get a few pointers from everyone. I resigned from my 9-5 about
4 months ago, and have been trying to establish myself as a science/tech
writer on a freelance/contract basis. I have a background in chemical
engineering (masters) and biotechnology (honours). I've had 4 years of
working experience, right up from lab scientist level to mid managerial
level (last post was as a Technical Coordinator).

SO i've had lots of documentation experience, from the traditional
scientific papers/posters/presentations, right through to tech business
communications eg grants, proposals, marcom stuff etc. BUT, in the past,
this has all been a part of the job, and now I want to make it... the meat
and potatoes of the job.

How should I go about establishing myself? I have great confidence in my
abilities, but it'll take abit more for people to hire me. I wanna set up
shop online and work on a per-contract, but I think that is abit of wishful
thinking there, marketing will be MUCH tougher than I can even imagine, I
think. Also, I am in Asia, so workload here is quite limited.

How can I politely approach people (other writers) to ask if they have
projects that they cant handle(eg limited by time etc)? I'm also willing to
work with someone from the States (for example), and do some portions of
their work while they sleep(since we're on diff time zone). Knowing what I
wanna do is not the problem, how to go about doing it is my problem.

I'm sorry if this seems like a routine question. I would be most grateful
for any help/advice you can give. Projects will be good too :)

Merry Christmas!!

regards,
Kelvin Keh

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com