Re: I/internet

Subject: Re: I/internet
From: Paul DuBois <paul -at- kitebird -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 21:34:40 -0600

At 16:31 -0800 12/29/02, Suzanne Chiles wrote:

>From the New York Times ...

Suzanne

----

December 29, 2002
Who Owns the Internet? You and i Do
By JOHN SCHWARTZ

SOMETHING will be missing when Joseph Turow's book about families and the
Internet is published by M.I.T. Press next spring: The capital I that
usually begins the word "Internet."

Mr. Turow, a professor at the Annenberg School for Communication at the
University of Pennsylvania, studies how people use online technology and how
that affects their lives. He has begun a small crusade to de-capitalize
Internet ? and, by extension, to acknowledge a deep shift in the way that we
think about the online world.

"I think what it means is it's part of the everyday universe," he said.

Capitalization irked him because, he said, it seemed to imply that reaching
into the vast, interconnected ether was a brand-name experience.

"The capitalization of things seems to place an inordinate, almost private
emphasis on something," he said, turning it into a Kleenex or a Frigidaire.
"The Internet, at least philosophically, should not be owned by anyone," he
said, calling it "part of the neural universe of life."

That's like saying we should write united states. I don't recall ever
hearing the argument that capitalization implies "private", and it seems
pretty specious to me.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com