Re: Preparation for a phone screen interview

Subject: Re: Preparation for a phone screen interview
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 11:28:04 -0800

Greg T wrote:

I forgot to add a question I asked the manager:

How long had they been at the company, did they like it, and what did they
see as challenges working there?

On the whole, I try to avoid questions like this in the first interview, unless something has suggested to me that the company is less than ideal for me.

A question like this puts interviewers on the spot. They're essentially representing their companies to someone who might be part of the company, and a negative answer might come back to haunt them. Yet, if they are bothered by something in the company - even momentarily - they may feel compelled to be honest with you.

I figure that, in this dilemma, the interviewer might very well respond to the conflict raised by this sort of question by resenting and eliminating the interviewee.

Of course, that won't happen in every case, and I'm not syaing that it will happen in yours. In fact, if the interview went on to other issues and the interviewer's attitude didn't change, it probably didn't. All the same, I'd avoid the potential problem whenever possible.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"To purchase a clear and warrantable body of truth, we must forget and part with much we know."
-Thomas Browne, "Pseudodoxia Epidemica"

Order RoboHelp X3 today and receive a $100 mail in rebate and a FREE
WebHelp Merge Module for merging multiple Help systems on any desktop
or server. Order online today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com