Re: Is the economy improving?

Subject: Re: Is the economy improving?
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 09:28:43 -0800 (PST)

What? Before the Economic Stimulus Package is approved? This cannot be!? (see, I
learned a new punctuation scheme thanks to this List.)

Before members of any political party leap to defend the powers that be, let me say
that economics, nay life itself, is cyclic. It goes up; it comes down; it goes back
up again. And so on.

However, Dick, I think you have a point that we might be, what do they call it?,
Leading Economic Indicators?

Tom Murrell

--- Dick Margulis <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net> wrote:
> The thaw seems to be just getting started, with some regions not being affected
> yet. But let me throw this hypthesis out for general discussion:
>
> Tech writers are the coal mine canaries of the job market.
>
> For most companies (not the enlightened ones, of course), tech writers tend to be
> among the last hired and first fired in response to the vicissitudes of the
> economy. So when list members start losing jobs, it's time to move your assets
> into cash and fix the old car instead of buying a new one; conversely, when list
> members start to report more hiring activity, it's an indication that economic
> recovery has started to gain some momentum.

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Order RoboHelp X3 today and receive a $100 mail in rebate and a FREE
WebHelp Merge Module for merging multiple Help systems on any desktop
or server. Order online today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com