RE: I just experienced the coolest thing

Subject: RE: I just experienced the coolest thing
From: JB Foster <jb -dot- foster -at- shaw -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 17:05:06 -0700

Since we're kind-of talking about gender roles. You might find a recent
study of interest. It found that if women in the work-place act more like
men, by being assertive, and less feminine, then they have less of a chance
advancing ranks within a company. The prevailing attitude is for women to
act weak, and submissive, or risk the consequences of conducting themselves
like men do. Of course men face the same perils, if seen as acting weak or
feminine. It just goes to show, that cultural prejudices are always lurking
just under the surface, no mater what we try to do about correcting gender
roles at work.

I saw the article in the news-paper today, but was unable to locate it on
the web. Did anyone else read this article? Please, no flaming! I don't
accept that these things happen, but it doesn't surprise me that a study
would uncover such thinking.

Bruce

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com