Re: Cannot generate PDF bookmarks from Word 2002 using Distiller 5.05 (operating-- system XP professional)

Subject: Re: Cannot generate PDF bookmarks from Word 2002 using Distiller 5.05 (operating-- system XP professional)
From: dik -at- intermate -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 12:17:55 -0700

Dick Margulis has been continuing to support me off-line. Just in case
anyone else is following this discussion (and perhaps learning from it),
here is the update on our off-line correspondance:

Dick thought about the problem-file being old and nasty and suggested
breaking it up and trying to get PDF maker to process the bits and pieces
until an offending bit is found. ... so I saved various bits and pieces of
the 111-page Word file, including all pages with graphics, and the PDF
maker worked fine, even here at work. But it froze when the file got much
bigger than 56 pages.

If I absolutely have to break up the file, I will - but the precursor to
this nastly old Word file was almost 200 pages (80 of them got moved to a
separate book); and I **know** that I used PDF maker (many times) to
generate a perfectly bookmarked PDF from the 200 page file.

My last experiment was to copy and paste everything from the old file to a
fresh Word document, touch up some of the headings, header and footer -
(another commonly recommended method). It actually looked very promising
.... and after about an hour, PDF maker froze. I haven't mentioned before
that on the way to freezing, Word keeps yapping about not having enough
memory; it did that in the "old days", too, so I've always just said, yes,
I want to proceed, and the result was a lovely bookmarked PDF. But maybe
the yapping is meaningful? That's why I want to poke around with memory
debugging, especially if my home setup does the job without yapping.

Dian

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com