RE: Deadlines

Subject: RE: Deadlines
From: "Gregory Sweet" <Gsweet -at- cdphp -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 08:27:20 -0500

Must be nice to be included on the team to begin with. We usually aren't even told that there is a new product until it's completed. More than once I've gotten an assignment at 3 p.m. Friday afternoon with a "this is going live Monday morning and we need to send mail the updated docs tommorrow..."

My personal favorite was the last new product. They built it, a BSA (in her own words) "slapped something together over the weeked" for documentation, and released it. Only then did the project get sent over for documentation, kind of pointless considering they already sent out the BSA's crappy doc.

Now had they come to us months ago when they started on the project.

Feeling bitter on a Monday morning.

-Greg

neart - misneach - diongbháilteacht

>>> <jgarison -at- ide -dot- com> 01/13/03 08:11AM >>>
Documentation and software development go hand in hand - if the code isn't
ready, it doesn't ship, period. (If your company regularly knowingly ships
defective or badly functioning code, they are not likely to be in business
for very long.) While we cannot document in 'real time' (the docs are always
in total sync with the code), we can mitigate that to a certain extent as I
said in my earlier note.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com