Re: beaten by the mob - bullying

Subject: Re: beaten by the mob - bullying
From: chix linux <linux_chix -at- yahoo -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 11:41:16 -0500 (EST)

Hello all. I'm coming out of lurk mode to rely this
anecdote:

Back in the late 1980s when I was training as a
welder-fitter, I encountered a young man who made it
very clear that he thought welding was not a suitable
profession for a woman. I think he somehow felt it
devalued him as a man that a woman could do the same
job.

Anyway, this fellow rode my a** constantly, never
missing an opportunity to humiliate or berate me. As
the only woman in the shop, I was outcast. I didn't
get mad, I got even. Here's how:

One day I'd just had it. This guy had been on me all
day and finally injured me by intentionally dropping a
heavy piece of scrap on my hand. I didn't blow up, or
complain or run to the boss. I simply waited until he
had entered his welding booth and started welding. I
slipped in behind him, backed the fuse off his machine
then went to the cutting table and waited.

A few seconds later, he came storming out of his booth
screaming, "I'm not getting any penetration!" I
flipped up my welding visor, smiled politely and said
loud enough so that everyone could hear, "Gee, it must
be very frustrating for a young man not to be able to
achieve penetration."

The whole shop just cracked up. Even this guy started
laughing. After work, he invited me to go out for
beers with the guys. From that point on, we got along
famously and the rest of the guys treated me with
respect.

As a woman who has worked in non-traditional
occupations (I'm also a licenced semi-truck driver),
I've found that not all men are very welcoming. I've
had men flat out tell me that they don't want to work
with a woman. There are several ways one can deal with
this however, I've chosen to simply do my job and gain
the respect of my collegues through my competence.

That doesn't mean that I will sit still for abuse. I'm
firm and direct. If I screw up, I say so and take the
heat. If I'm right, I say so and back it up. That's
what's worked for me.

Going back into lurk mode, Barbara.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com