Re: FWD: Security followup

Subject: Re: FWD: Security followup
From: "Samuel Choy" <schoy -at- us -dot- ibm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 10:15:00 -0600

Some of you might argue that this is overkill, or that I don't understand
file swapping services or firewalls, but here's my take:

I don't leave my door unlocked at night. I don't leave my car running in
the parking lot. And I don't use file swapping services. Ever. Not even
with a firewall. As much as I like MP3s, they're not worth opening my
hard disk up to the entire Internet. They may say the outside only has
access to the files you want them to, but the cyber Baddies are
sophisticated enough to hack through to the rest of the info on your hard
drive. And they can always find a way. Even with a firewall.

Also, if you have your employer's or client's confidential information on
your home computer, you could also be in violation their security policy
when you use file swapping services.

Ok. I'm getting off my soap box. Y'all feel free to correct me if I'm
wrong.

Samuel Choy
IBM Rochester
http://www.ibm.com/eserver/iseries/infocenter