Re: Security followup

Subject: Re: Security followup
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 13:24:59 -0800

Decker F. Wong-Godfrey wrote:

But I don't foresee my mom using netstat or running a portscanner anytime soon.

Very true.

Unfortunately, I don't foresee many people in the middle of an install stopping and looking at all the services and what they do and deciding which ones to enable, either. I think there's a very real chance that most people will simply accept those enabled by default, which may not be the best choice in every case.

BTW, while on the subject, I'd recommend bastille to anyone who wants to harden a Linux system. It runs interactively, and, if you take the time to go through all the choices, you'll not only harden your system, but you'll also have completed a basic lesson in security. As a matter of fact, that's where I first developed an interest in the subject. I figure I now kow enough to follow discussions by sysadmins without a stupid look on my face. Actually taking part in the discussion - well, that's a different matter. ;-)

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten."
-G. K. Chesterton.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com