RE: Security followup

Subject: RE: Security followup
From: Peter Lucas <peterlucas -at- decadesoftware -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 14:38:29 -0800

Andrew,

I just have to briefly chime in on this. I'm a tech writer/net admin at my
company (mostly tech writer), and I was also under the impression that Linux
was "much" more secure based mostly on what I read on the Internet and at
Slashdot. We are a Windows shop here, but just last week I had to install
Linux on a PC here for testing purposes. It was interesting because it gave
me a chance to see what all the commotion was regarding Linux. (I had never
seen it until last week.)

I was tasked with setting up Red Hat Linux 7.3, Apache, MySQL, and then
configuring the FTP server. As I scoured the Internet and also Red Hat's web
site, I was just blown away by all the security warnings and patches that
were available for the OS and each product. As a matter of fact, MySQL 3.23
was patched for a security vulnerability and the patch disabled a feature we
were using!

Man did that open my eyes. I thought the Linux fanatics really had some
solid ground for a while, but now I'm beginning to think they aren't much
better than the legions of Mac zombies out there (...all praise Steve
Jobs...). Perhaps there is some significance to the fact Mac OS X added
support for Linux/Unix...hmm...conspiracy? Invasion of the body snatchers?

At least most of us Windows users admit there are problems and do what we
can to fix them. Like you say, an OS or app is only as good as the person
setting it up.

We've had Norton Anti-Virus for the desktop and MS Exchange for some time
now along with MS SMS to push down updates to the workstations, and we
haven't had a single problem with a virus. Norton intercepts stuff all the
time, but it's never compromised a workstation. We also got a hardware
firewall before it was fashionable to do so.

Peter Lucas