RE: Even the CEO of Monster lies on his resume

Subject: RE: Even the CEO of Monster lies on his resume
From: JB Foster <jb -dot- foster -at- shaw -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 13:17:37 -0700

Just a sign of the times Andrew.

Apparently, more and more people are doing this on their resumes. Usually
it's exaggeration of experience or duties. It's the really corrupt ones,
that go and add fictitious degrees onto their resumes. I would guess that
there is an attitude out there, that HR departments are so over-worked that
no one will check; and that the more brilliant you appear, the money you can
ask for.

I remember hearing about one person that put 'BA honors' on her list of
experiences. And that was over ten years ago. The HR department got
suspicious in the second interview, when she called the diploma 'Business
Arts and honors.' So one of the interviewers called her on it. When
confronted, she claimed she had done nothing wrong, and that a previous
company had given her a certificate - for a two day course in Business
Accounting. Go figure! The scary thing was this individual thought she was
in the right, and that there was nothing wrong with putting it, in this way,
on her resume.

I also had a friend who went around saying he had a degree in Power
Engineering. He only once admitted to me, that it was a 16 week course on
steam power. Which is not even enough qualification to apply for a
Fourth-Class Power Engineer's certificate. But since no one ever called him
on it, he kept on impressing others with his so-called degree (at least at
social occasions). Kind of like listening to people talk about salaries,
benefits, and personal-power within the work-world. To be taken with a grain
if salt. So should resumes! I would presume, Jeff Taylor is like my old
friend. The claim is probably for status and ego, rather than gain.

Amazingly, only when this stuff hit the news, a few years ago - have HR
departments become more diligent w.r.t. what people claim in their resumes.

Bruce

Andrew Plato wrote:

<snip>
> The Web site of Monster.com's parent company, TMP Worldwide Inc., lists
> Chairman Jeff Taylor as having an "executive MBA/OPM" from
> Harvard Business
> School, but the school does not have such a degree, BusinessWeek
> said in its
> Jan. 27 issue."
<snip>

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com