RE: Even the CEO of Monster lies on his resume

Subject: RE: Even the CEO of Monster lies on his resume
From: JB Foster <jb -dot- foster -at- shaw -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 14:59:30 -0700

Interesting! I've heard that one before, from HR types (and not just once).
It's probably due to the sinicism, from reading piles of resumes! I've been
told once, that you need to read them with a sense of humor. Even for
volunteer positions, people are getting competitive with their resumes.

In addition, there is always someone who will claim they know how to use a
piece of software ... just not effectively (of course they never add that
part). These types are probably so desperate to land a certain 'dream' job,
they don't even think about how they're going to keep it.

Or as happened to me, the qualifications were drawn up in a vacuum. So once
you get into the job, you realize you're way over-qualified; and had you
lied, no one would ever have known. Kind of like an employer asking for a
graduate-level background in deferential-geometry, for a position in outside
sales for' paper-clips'. If employers ask for the ridiculous (which some
do), in hopes of improving the quality of candidates, ... guess what will
happen!

I would also presume some people look at as this way: the ten minute career
in high-tech - if you last that long -will impress your new colleagues at
the burger pit! And there are lots of people out there, (even if they worked
only a day) who would like to put 'IBM' or 'NASA' on their resume.

Bruce

I guess I'm of topic, so I guess I should get back to work!

Samuel Choy wrote:

> An IT manager at a previous employer once bragged to me (though he was
> probably exaggerating) that if he ever read the packaging for a software
> product, he put it on his resume.
>
> Hmm...perhaps if HR departments are going be more careful about
> researching
> resumes I should remove the title, "Founder of modern technical writing"
> from my resume ; - )

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com