RE: Formatting of Simplified Chinese & Traditional Chinese

Subject: RE: Formatting of Simplified Chinese & Traditional Chinese
From: "Broberg, Mats" <mats -dot- broberg -at- flir -dot- se>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 13:27:15 +0100

Sean,

Perhaps my original message was a bit unclear.

Today I _do_ use a complete XML workflow for the manuals: authoring -
version control - configuration management - translation - generation of
translation memories in XTranslate/TRADOS - formatting in XEP/RenderX using
XSL-FO.

However, I was interested to hear how you deal with the fact that ways to
emphasize text in European languages are not easily converted to CJK
languages, since concepts like "bold" and "italic" don't connote the same
meaning as they do in European languages. Using a Unicode typeface (e.g.
Arial Unicode MS) - which was an early idea that I adopted - has its
drawbacks since it either does not support "bold" and "italic", or does not
support CJK script systems.

This problem gets even worse when a source manual in English uses an Adobe
MM typeface to typographically distinguish between code samples, menu
commands, buttons etc in the original text. I was looking for ideas how
these ways to distinguish between different concepts in a hardware or
software manual are dealt with when translating into CJK and other SE Asian
languages.

Best regards,
Mats Broberg
FLIR Systems AB
Sweden

> Hello Matt,
>
> I am using XML to develop documentation, so formatting is
> under the control of
> XSL stylesheets. Quite frankly I think I am happy not to have
> to worry about
> the formatting. May I suggest you take the same path.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com