RE: Even the CEO of Monster lies on his resume

Subject: RE: Even the CEO of Monster lies on his resume
From: Syed Ahmed <SAhmed -at- DKSYSTEMS -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 15:55:05 -0600

Here's my little anecdote about HR types checking resumes:

In the late 90s, I was interviewing with one of the Big Five firms for the
position of Desktop Publisher. I got the job and was with them for two
years. However, I almost didn't get the job (even after five interviews)
because I made an error on my resume that I hadn't realized I made, but they
sure as heck caught. In the Education section for my degree, I put "BS in
English Literature", when it should've have read "BA in English Literature".
It was simply a typo, but the HR folks at the company were suspicious that I
was trying to lie or embellish my resume. (I definitely learned my lesson
about having my resume proofed by someone else!) After pleading on the
phone for some time, convincing HR of my innocence, they made me the offer.
The most interesting part of this story is that after I started working
there, my manager told me that she never noticed the typo, and wouldn't have
cared either way. It was the HR dept that couldn't move forward without
reassurance that I wasn't trying to lie on my resume. I never thought that a
single-character mistake could have possibly cost me a great job.

Syed

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com