Re: What to do about writing samples

Subject: Re: What to do about writing samples
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 11:04:46 -0800 (PST)

Well, it's not my argument, I'm just repeating it because it was
relevant, and provides the opportunity to use the "endless loop
in the shower" joke.

But since you asked...

Back when "user interface" meant "MS-Windows," the OK button was
the standard way to end any interaction with a dialog box, so it
was really tempting to leave "Click OK" off the procedures.

Then came tabbed interfaces, with their Apply buttons, and
inconsistent "Save" behaviors. Then it was less clear what you
had to do to make your changes take effect:
http://uie.com/tabbed.htm

Now we have creative artists using PhotoShop to invent whole new
"innovative" user interfaces. For the life of me, sometimes I am
totally stumped for a while before I figure out how to complete
the interaction.

But "Click OK" is never the end of the procedure. If you want to
provide docs with depth, you have to explain what happens when
you click OK. By "explain what happens" I don't mean just a
description of what jumps up on the screen, I mean the back end
processing.

--- Jeff Hanvey <jewahe -at- lycos -dot- co -dot- uk> wrote:
> [...]

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com