RE: tutorial fomat - good examples?

Subject: RE: tutorial fomat - good examples?
From: "Darren Barefoot" <darren -dot- barefoot -at- capeclear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:14:55 -0000

Hi,
Without blowing our own horn (should that be horns?)too much, we're
pretty happy with our tutorials. The feedback from users has been
entirely positive (with the exception of one typo). We created our older
tutorials using a nifty, open-source tool from IBM called Toot-O-Matic.
You develop the tutorial in XML, which is a great format for designing
effective outlines, etc. You can see an example of the output at
http://www.capescience.com/education/tutorials/capestudio/tut17/index.ht
ml. I wrote an article on this process that appeared in the
always-riveting April, 2002 edition of the IEEE-PCS Newsletter. You can
read that article here:
http://www.darrenbarefoot.com/writingsamples/Tootomatic.pdf

More recently, we've dispensed with the somewhat-labor-intensive
Toot-O-Matic approach and now create what amount to short, educational
movies using a tool called ViewletBuilder (from www.qarbon.com). They're
easy to make and users seem to really respond to them. You can see an
example of this approach (in fact, a later version of the tutorial I
referred to above) at
http://www.capescience.com/education/tutorials/g4/helloworld/. Thanks.
DB.

Darren Barefoot