Re: Rates (was The Lone Writer)

Subject: Re: Rates (was The Lone Writer)
From: "Karen L. Zorn" <klzorn -at- zorntech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 12:41:38 -0700

> I would imagine that the decline in the hourly-rate is from
> supply-and-demand forces.

In the 90's contracting was a snap. Usually there was a contract offer on
the table before your current gig was up. If you could put pen to paper or
know a glimmer of the current software wonder, you got base rates. A good
portfolio equaled top rates. An excellent portfolio equaled outstanding
rates. Everybody wanted to get into Tech Writing, almost as many as lawyers
;^ ) Go go 90's brought on the university and college Technical Writer
curriculums. Get a degree, jobs waiting.

Now, we're at 6%+ unemployment--and those numbers are generated on the folks
still standing in line for Unemployment Benefits. Contractors, by the very
nature of their business are their own employees (unless you work for an
agency) and are not entitles to unemployment. (Even if you have
incorporated, unemployment benefits eventually come out of your pocket in
the form of increased tax rates.) The unemployment stats don't count those
who are contractors or those who have exhausted their unemployment benefits
(many, many, many).

Lots and lots of experienced TWs, lots and lots of graduates, lots and lots
of TW wannabes. Big pond, lots of fish, employers can scale back on rates
and always get takers. And, they're not being picky about who's sitting at
the desk. If they can't get a senior writer too proud to take what they're
offering, then there's another TW out there who will. $35/hr is an excellent
offer at this time. Many jobs out there are looking for senior TW with lots
of extra responsibilities and offering $15-20.

I'm working for half of what I was making in the 90s, but I'm working. One
of my clients reduced their staff by 2/3s, asked if I would reduce my rate.
Considering remaining employees took 10% pay cut, I reduced my rate 10%, and
we work on a very different basis than before. Keeps me working, makes them
happy and I'm Ok with that. Am I happy about not bringing in what I had,
not really.
Do I feel like I'm letting down my TW compatriots? Maybe, but I need to make
the mortgage, utilities, and buy groceries. Hopefully the tiny glimmer of
light at the end of a still very long tunnel will get brighter and closer,
but for now, After a terrible 18 mos., billing any hours is a good thing.

Karen L. Zorn
Zorn Technologies, Inc.
Mesa, AZ

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com