Re: Rates

Subject: Re: Rates
From: John Posada <john -at- tdandw -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 22:30:26 -0800

> Someone on the lone writer thread (I'm one, too) said that drs and lawyers
> rates stayed high implying that they wouldn't take less. Let me present
> another thought.

Me.

> So, what's my point? As technical writers (especially lone ones) are we
> doing all we can to increase our knowledge of our word processing tools,
> desktop publishing tools, graphics tools, editing -- all the things that
> distinguish really good technical writers from hacks?

Increasing our knowledge of "...word processing tools, desktop publishing
tools, graphics tools, editing..." does NOT increase our value, just as the
doctor wouldn't be of value if he was the greatest user of the arthroscopic
equipment, but knew nothing of the human body on which he was using it.

I don't care how much you know how to use a word processing tool...if you
don't know about what you are writing ABOUT, then you (collective, not
specific) are a mediocre technical writer.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
john -at- tdandw -dot- com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com