Re: Rates

Subject: Re: Rates
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 12:01:54 -0800 (PST)

John Fleming wrote:
> Just because a person can use the tools doesn't mean
> the person is a great technical writer.
Yeah that was my point. The posted job is about using DotHLP to
create some kind of training material. But they didn't ask for
training experience, and apparently subject matter expertise
isn't required either. Just DotHLP.

And apparently no other help tool experience is acceptable,
either. If Ralph Walden himself applied for this job, he
probably wouldn't get past the alert recruiter.

By now the poor recruiter is probably aware that almost NO tech
writers have DotHLP experience. Or maybe the client will assume
the recruiter has failed, and will pass the req to their
next-tier recruiters... Next week we'll see a flurry of job
postings "DotHLP required!!!"

The week after that: "DotHLP (or similar tool) required!!"

I would bet that the person who finally ends up doing this job
has no prior DotHLP experience.

I'm sure DotHLP is a nice HAT. In fact, I often recommend that
clients use lesser-known HATs, as an alternative to the
"what-version-are-we-on-now" costware. I'll remember DotHLP in
the future.

>From the DotHLP vendor's website:
> With no prior experience you can create a fully
> functional help file in One Minute!
So if I download DotHLP, one hour later can I claim I have
completed 60 projects using DotHLP?

Oh, and the DotHLP people go on to say..
> Then all you have to do is type in the text.
I'm glad they remembered that part; for a moment I was worried
they were trivializing it ;-)

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com