Re: text production process

Subject: Re: text production process
From: "CB Casper" <knowone -at- surfy -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 11:54:09 -0800

CB> Sitting down and talking to the ones involved in
CB> preparing the materials and determining what they
CB> need, when they need it, etc. can make a big
CB> difference.

AP thought something was added with:
AP> ...and eat up all sorts of time. Why work
AP> when there are MEETINGS to be had!
AP>
AP> A doc department should take information from any
AP> source it can get it. If you put a sphincter in
AP> front of your work, you get shit.

Taking in anything provided may work for simple
linear work flows, such as
Engineer/Info -> Writer/Documentation.

It's not as simple with more complicated arrangements
typically found in large companies. Aerospace
systems may have many groups involved and the
information flow gets complicated very quickly.

A simple example. The design engineers saved their
drawings in a proprietary format. When we needed
a drawing, we had to ask them individually to save
a CGM file for us. This always got them upset, as
they were working on another drawing. Another
option was to have TW's to gain access to their
system. That would have taken a $25000 investment
in training, hardware, and licensing, for each TW.

Once I explained this to the designers, they
understood the consequences, costs, and how easy
it was for them, they agreed to always save the
finished drawing as a CGM to a location we could
access without compromising their systems.

If 'Yeah right. Put 10 people in a room and try
to get them to agree on anything' is the
experience when working in a group, then I
suggest that someone skilled in leading
cantankerous groups be called in.

With a softer approach to problem solving and
cooperation, disparate groups can agree on a
process, I know, I've done it. When it is in
their own best interests, it's even easier.

Is this activity typical of a Tech Writer, no,
but it should be. Why? Because the TW knows what
content is needed when and where. If we apply
our knowledge of content to a broader view,
we can increase our value to the company.

In the example in my earlier post, I took a
2 week documentation cycle and reduced it to
2 days. Evaluating a process and making good
changes saves the company money, and lets the
TW's focus on creating content, not spending
time and money chasing down bogus and duplicate
information.

Just as a responsible TW would get the product
fixed if flaws were found, frequently the TW
is in a position to see flaws in the information
flow process, and should take steps to correct
them in the interest of the company.

CB - have process? will fix
--
Surfy! http://www.surfy.net Great web search, free web email, and $9.95 unlimited Internet access