Re: Transitioning from Consulting/Contracting to Permanent Positions

Subject: Re: Transitioning from Consulting/Contracting to Permanent Positions
From: "Gary Robinson" <GXR -at- ddpmi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 08:29:49 -0500

Hi,

I have worked both as a consultant, which is my current status, and as a full time employee. I have yet to find an employer that cared one way or the other that I had been a consultant. My employers were focused on my skills and my ability to accomplish the necessary tasks. The fact that I had worked as a consultant was not important to them. The same applies to the consulting world. I have recently returned to consulting after nearly 4 years as a full time employee at an engineering firm. None of the prospective clients I've had contact with said anything at all about my change of status from employee to consultant. Again it is skills and ability, not my former job status that appears to be important to them.

Gary G. Robinson
Technical Communications Consultant
Pillar Technology Group, LLC
www.pillartechnology.com

currently consulting at Delta Dental Plan of Michigan

>>> Anthony <italian_scribbles -at- yahoo -dot- com> 01/29/03 11:12AM >>>

Hello Everyone,

Have any of you transitioned from a career in
consulting/contracting with companies on
communications projects to a permanent position?

If yes, did you encounter very much resistance to the
fact that you had been a consultant?

If you did, what was the nature of the comments or
specific criticisms you received?

I am interested in making this transition, but have
heard mixed stories about problems in doing so.

Thanks for the help.

- Anthony

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com