RE: credit check for interviews

Subject: RE: credit check for interviews
From: JB Foster <jb -dot- foster -at- shaw -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 11:44:30 -0700

I would have once said "Any company that thinks credit-history is an
indication of work-style or ethics, is probably a company that is a bit (you
know what) ... so it's probably not worth working for them." But I can see
the reason credit-checks are becoming more popular. From some of the stories
that I've heard in the past; about workplace theft being more common with
well-to-do employees ... using credit-checks doesn't surprise me at all. I
don't believe that such screenings will prevent workplace theft - that's the
role for society to be involved in (a role, for some reason, we-as-a nation
have decided not to play).

However, an HR department that's experiencing such a situation, is going to
think about carefully screening prospective candidates - any way they can.
And I'll bet you anything, that the companies providing credit-checks,
already had their radar antennae up - and discovered lots of $$$ - in
selling such services to corporate America. Quite an ingenious way (scam?)
of getting more companies calling-in $$$ to seek your 'questionable'
services ... if you think about it! Kind of makes me wonder who's really
fleecing corporate America ... is it the potentially 'evil, thieving'
employee, or the cash-strapped credit-reporting agencies.

Maybe more 'HR types' should re-read 'Little Red Ridding Hood.' ... and
every time they see the word "wolf' just change it to "credit reporting
agencies! ;-)

Bruce

Sean wrote:

<snip>
> Methinks the whole "credit bureau" thing is ugly. Have you ever tried to
> change erroneous information there. I have. To date, I've had to change
> the same mistake three times because the credit bureau in question keeps
> re-posting it for some reason (restoring from a backup? who knows?).
> It's minor, but annoying. And, there is no recourse. They gotta make
> credit bureaus legally and fiscally responsible for errors they post.
<snip>

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com