RE: credit check for interviews

Subject: RE: credit check for interviews
From: "Diane Evans" <diane_evans -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 09:04:41 -0800

>And the question that has been posed repeatedly
>in this discussion remains to be answered satisfactorily:
>What does a credit check tell a hiring employer? Leaving
>aside especially security-sensitive areas, is

Uhm...that being late on my Visa bill means I'm going to sell the design of my company's network to Amazon.com?

As a person who very recently had to pass a credit check to get a permanent job, I think the company is looking for more than whether or not you are late paying your Visa bill.

I have a huge problem with my credit. The year after I graduated from college, I escaped an abusive marriage, got a divorce, and my son was diagnosed with cancer. In all of the upheaval, I defaulted on a student loan.

Although I have made payments at some time in the past, I am not currently making payments on the loan (a long story, one that doesn't need details). When I was told a credit check would be performed, I explained exactly what had happened and why I am in default. I got the job without a problem.

A credit check is more than just a way to check for responsibility. It can also give clues as to a person's honesty, and whether or not there are potential substance-abuse issues. Or, as someone else suggested, whether a person would be vulnerable to the potential sale of company secrets.

I don't work in a government agency, but I know things about biotech that other companies would love to know! Sorry, my documents are not for sale...

Diane Evans
Technical Writer

Washington State Coordinator, Tombstone Project
http://www.rootsweb.com/~cemetery/washing.html

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com