clarity of terminology can save lives

Subject: clarity of terminology can save lives
From: Bil Gladstone <admin -at- bcnexus -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 14:46:54 -0800

With unseasonably warm weather in our part of the world (the Canadian
Rocky Mountains) have come a greater than normal number of avalanches in
the back country. Even parties of experienced wilderness skiers and
boarders have lost their lives in the snow.

Before trekking or helicoptering out into the mountains, adventure
skiers can consult Environment Canada for the current Avalanche Hazard
Rating in different watersheds. In light of recent multiple tragedies,
the terminology used for these Ratings has been criticized.

For example, in the Revelstoke area the Hazard is described as
"considerable" through most of the winter. The current controversy
focuses on just what "Considerable" means; is it closer to Moderate, or
closer to High? Or are we just supposed to pause and "consider" that we
really like back country skiing before we leave the lodge?

Professional guides and outfitters have grown their businesses along
with Environment Canada et al. and understand such "Bureaucratese". But
such imprecise language as "considerable" is not much help to the
growing number of novice eco-tourists, adventurers, and "extreme" sport
enthusiasts.

Does obtuse language cost lives? I think it sometimes may.

Regards,
Bil Gladstone
British Columbia

single-source layouts, and more!