Re: ADMIN: Don't start down this road

Subject: Re: ADMIN: Don't start down this road
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 10:57:27 -0800 (PST)

"Michael Bryans" <> wrote

> Perhaps, I'm not so thick as to forget that many lists, info sources, and
> public/private collections have archives. Thank you anyway for condescending
> to point me to this resource.

...and here we go with the meta-arguments.

One of the things that annoys me on this list (and elsewhere) is a lack of
topic discipline from the participants. You and Tom are no longer talking about
exporting jobs, the list administrator, or even macro economics. Now you are
arguing about your arguments; a meta-argument. You're saying things like: "you
said this, and you meant that, and how dare he say this, you're twisting my
words, that's not what I meant," and so on.

This gets done A LOT around here. People can't come up with an interesting
rebuttal, so they mire the entire conversation into an extended meta-argument.
Its the surest sign that those involved have no point and cannot handle any
opposition to their opinions. The participants are more interested in whining
about how they aren't being heard than just making their points. They make sure
to detect and complain at the slightest whiff of disrespect or dismissal. If
the other party doesn't understand your point - call them names, tell them they
are an egotistical jerk, and demand sympathy from others.

Which this idea is an interesting communication concept in and of itself. Here
we have people who are supposedly skilled communicators who are debating about
how they are not being understood. Communicators who are unable to effectively
communicate.

You have to see the irony in that.

Andrew Plato

http://mailplus.yahoo.com