Re: Disclaimer or urban legend?

Subject: Re: Disclaimer or urban legend?
From: "Karen L. Zorn" <klzorn -at- zorntech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 12:30:21 -0700

I've visited many national and state/provincal parks during my days. In the
states there are signs all over warning of risks, dangers, and advising
against certain behaviors. (Yellowstone geyser basins: "Stay on Boardwalks.
Do not put hands in water streams, extremely hot, boiling.) Yet, I've seen
people stand right next to the sign and do what the sign advises against. I
have absolutely no sympathy at all for the old lady who stuck her hand in
the runoff from Old Faithful and got burnt. "I didn't know it was hot!" Or
the young couple who put their baby on a bison to take a cute picture, and
the kid got bucked off and trampled.

Many folks enter parks, refuges, and wild areas and believe that nothing
will happen to them. That life is real according to Disney. The warning from
this recreation area is upfront and blunt. Regardless, some folks can't be
convinced even with a bat.

I live in the desert. We have many, many winter visitors who come for the
warmth, scenery, and experience. Yet at least once a month, the Phoenix FD
is called out to rescue someone who got stuck climbing or hiking in the
mountain refuges--at a cost average of $5K. Grand Canyon has graphic,
extremely graphic signs at trailheads and on the trails about the dangers of
hiking in the Canyon--heat exhaustion is very common. Yet folks take off on
these hikes with very little or no water, no head gear, no salty foods, and
sandals. At the Canyon, if you call for help and they have to evacuate you,
you pay the bill, minimum $5,000.

The moral: no matter how many warnings you give, there will always be a
contender for the Darwin Award.

Karen L. Zorn
Zorn Technologies, Inc.
Mesa, AZ