End of Sabbatical, new salary trends?

Subject: End of Sabbatical, new salary trends?
From: "Kevin McGowan" <evikn_tour -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 16:28:06 -0500

Hi whirlers!

It's been a long time since I posted anything here...I've just finished a year-long sabbatical and had a brilliant time. Now, I'm heading back to Ontario to find work. You can imagine my combination of feelings now: dread, fear, anxiety, and the knowledge that the high-tech boom in Ottawa and Toronto died out just as I was taking off to Fiji.

This might be inappropriate, so if it is, don't flame me too hard. But I'm just getting my feet into the tech writing world again and I'm trying to see what the current trends are in software, hiring, etc. If anyone has any thoughts about "the scene in general" in the Toronto area, please let me know.

I'm mostly curious about salaries and hourly rates...the average has seemed to drop in the past 12-18 months. I have been filling out forms on job-search sites and they always ask for expected salary...and I don't want to sound like I'm asking for the moon.

Advice for a writer trying to plan his re-entry??

Cheers, all.

Kevin

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com