Re: More on Tech Writing Tests

Subject: Re: More on Tech Writing Tests
From: Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 23:27:18 +0100

Do not answer any questions the writer asks, just leave them to it. (The
really good ones immediately ask about audience, for instance, but I just
said I had given all the instruction I was going to give.)

This is the part of the test that I have the most problems with. In my experience, a big part of techwriting is gathering information, which often means asking questions. A test that specifically excludes this part seems to be significantly skewed.

Of course, if LeAnne says that they found good writers for their team, it‘s hard to argue with that. (And I don't think it is fair to portray the team as going nowhere and stuck in a comfortable routine, unless more information is available.)

But for the kinds of jobs we do here, other kinds of tests would likely be more appropriate.

Regards
Jan Henning

Jan Henning
ROSEMANN & LAURIDSEN GMBH
Am Schlossberg 14, D-82547 Eurasburg, Germany

Phone: +49 700 0200 0700, Fax: +49 8179 9307-12
E-Mail: henning -at- r-l -dot- de, Web: www.r-l.de

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com