RE: Technical Writing Tests

Subject: RE: Technical Writing Tests
From: "Suzanne Chiles" <suzchiles -at- pobox -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 19:08:52 -0800

>From what I've read in this thread, it seems like many of the technical
writing tests seem to focus on procedure writing. While we certainly must
know how to write a good procedure, I think that writing clear and
understandable conceptual information about complex subjects is not only
more important, but much more difficult as well.

The best technical writing test I ever took (and I've only been asked to a
test twice), was to write a page or two explaining an area of computer
software technology that I had some knowledge about, such as network
security or relational database management or redundant systems, for someone
who was generally knowledgeable technically, but did not know much about
that particular technology. I was given around 30 or 45 minutes to write the
information.

I think most writers can be easily coached on how to write a clear and
effective procedure, if they don't already have that skill. But, the ability
to clearly and concisely explain somewhat complex concepts is, I think, a
much more important skill to almost any employer and one that cannot be
easily taught.

Well, that's my one cent on the topic. Deflation, you know.

Suzanne

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com