Re: Technical Writing Tests

Subject: Re: Technical Writing Tests
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 22:17:38 -0800 (PST)

"Suzanne Chiles" wrote

> From what I've read in this thread, it seems like many of the technical
> writing tests seem to focus on procedure writing. While we certainly must
> know how to write a good procedure, I think that writing clear and
> understandable conceptual information about complex subjects is not only
> more important, but much more difficult as well.

I agree. Conceptual information is harder to write and is ultimately more
valuable. If you can explain why something works the way it does, how to make
it do that should seem almost obvious.

However, most technical writers are procedure writers. That's all they can do
and its all they ever strive to be. As such, they make up tests that look for
people who can write procedures.

The result is always the same: their docs simultaneously suck and blow.

Andrew Plato

http://shopping.yahoo.com

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com