RE: Saving Websites to CD

Subject: RE: Saving Websites to CD
From: "Domaschuk, Rob" <Robd -at- datalogics -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 13:56:58 -0600

I find myself in an intriguing position - being rational and thoughtful.
Allow me to pause and savor this feeling....

.....okay, it passed.

Just a couple of notes:

1. If the site is not your company's site, then there will be some copyright
issues to be concerned about. Usually, a polite and friendly letter to the
company can result in permission to download (at least part of) their site.
If the site has advertising as part of its revenue stream, then downloading
the site and reading it offline may be denying the company some of its
revenue. They may not care, but I'd ask first.

2. As for using WS_FTP - I love this tool. It is easy to use and configure.
However, if you are using it as part of your job, then you are required to
purchase WS_FTP Pro. It's only $35 or something like that, but the lite
(free) version is for individuals only. Just something to keep in mind.

3. To access the folder that contains the site files (the root and all
associated sub-directories), you will most likely require a password.
Otherwise you could download a site, change some HTML files, and re-load it.
Sites tend to keep their files in a web directory, which is separate from
the public ftp directory.

Just my 2c......

Rob Domaschuk | 312.853.8337 - p
Technical Writer | 719.623.7431 - f
Datalogics, inc. | www.datalogics.com

"If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from
vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?"

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com