Get paid

Subject: Get paid
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 09:20:46 -0800 (PST)

Somebody sent me a link to this article about getting paid...

http://www.stcwvc.org/galley/0211/on_getting_paid.htm

And its a pretty good article (go read it, I am not going to post the entire
article here).

However, I got to thinking after reading it that basically the author was
saying "have some decent business sense."

One of the lessons I have learned in the last few years is that most
organizations operate by momentum, not by plan or design. They just chug along
in a direction with minimal regard to the toes they might stomp. As such, they
often engage consultants and contractors with little regard to actually paying
those people.

Hence, it is important to find out right away how your potential customers are
going to fund any projects. I've bid on more doc projects then I care to count
that never went anywhere because the people involved apparently didn't consider
the fact that we wanted to be paid for our services. Or completely
misunderstood the costs of hiring people to do documentation.

Likewise, some places are just pure scum and will engage diligent, hard-working
consultants for the sole purpose of sucking a good proposal out of them that
they can turn around and hand over to an "approved vendor."

This sort of reminds me of all these lecherous "shell companies" that are
constantly soliciting small businesses (such as yours truly) to join their
"global organization." These companies have no money, just worthless de-listed
stock that isn't worth the paper its printed on. They talk a good talk, but
basically they just cheat small business owners out of their companies with a
promise of making millions on stock. In the end, its always the same, the small
business is liquidated and the owner is tossed out.

So, although the article lists some good ideas, I think the best idea is to
simply develop some business sense. Don't waste your time talking to people who
don't have money or authority. Talk is cheap and nothing is final until a check
shows up.

Andrew Plato

http://shopping.yahoo.com

single-source layouts, and more!