RE: Get paid

Subject: RE: Get paid
From: "Dan Glovier" <dglovier -at- edline -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 13:26:38 -0600

> I've gotten better these days at qualifying customers. Its not an easy
> thing to
> do, because you don't want to scare them off. But, you've got to ask
those
> hard
> questions, like "do you have any money for this?"

I'll be paraphrasing here, but I think it applies.

There's a term called "putting the gun on the table". Not sure where it
came from, but it might have come from the old days when they would sell
insurance policies door to door. By putting "the gun" (or policy, or
rate, or whatever) on the table at the beginning of the meeting, you
have a chance to discuss your wares with the customer first, and when
you get to the "gun" later on, they're comfortable with its existence
and are not scared off immediately.

If someone has a problem with your price from the get-go, you've just
saved an hour or two of your life. Now, if they're serious about the
project, they should be fine with your rate. And now you have the entire
meeting to tell them how you're worth every penny that you're charging.

I see no problem in doing what Andrew suggests. In fact, given the
horror stories floating around, it might just be prudent.

Happy Wednesday,
Dan Glovier

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com