RE: Writing for the Open Source Community

Subject: RE: Writing for the Open Source Community
From: "Bill Lawrence" <scribe -at- matrixplus -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 15:12:26 -0500

Eric,

You're missing one of the main points, I think. You have two choices:

Pay for a tool (and often pay dearly).

Support an effort to create the tool that's offered for free, and in the
process help shape what that tool does and how it works.

One never knows in this business when one's company may falter, and
suddenly you're depending on freelancing for a living. I personally
can't afford a tool set consisting of RoboHelp, Camtasia, Adobe
Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, MS Word, MS SourceSafe, and Framemaker,
let alone trying to stay current with the licenses.

As I am currently very happily employed, I work for a company that can
afford those tools. But why should they if I can get the job done with
free tools?

Cheers,

Bill Lawrence
Senior Technical Writer