RE: Writing for the Open Source Community

Subject: RE: Writing for the Open Source Community
From: "Stevenson, Rebecca" <Rebecca -dot- Stevenson -at- workscape -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:10:32 -0500

>The original question was quite simple. Besides portfolio pieces and the
altruistic side is are there real money making opportunities? As whenever
someone says they are out of work someone almost always says look at the open
source community I thought that there may be a little more hope than just
altruism for those that are desperate to make a living.

?? I don't think I've ever seen anyone suggest Open Source as a means to *make money* while unemployed. From watching this topic over the years I'd gather these benefits accrue:

--keeping yourself occupied
--keeping in touch with your subject matter
--accumulating current portfolio pieces
--making contacts

while conducting your job search. Other benefits (the altruism argument) may apply if you are contributing in your spare time. For those "desperate to make a living," then no, I can't imagine why they would be writing Linux manuals rather than filling out an application for a job at Wal-Mart. But there's degrees of desperate.

>If open source IS going to continue as a subject topic. How about some actual
helpful information for techwriters. How to identify promising projects, the
level of expertise required to get involved, ways the expertise gained can be
marketed, how to break into writing articles, books, etc.

All interesting questions IMO.

Rebecca

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com