RE: Need real-world information about Framemaker

Subject: RE: Need real-world information about Framemaker
From: Tammy VanBoening <Tammy -dot- VanBoening -at- netRegulus -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 16:12:18 -0700

Shannon,

To kinda' continue w/ Lisa's train of thought -

I was in the situation that she described in which the proposals were
running hundreds of pages long and I needed the long doc capabilities to
solve *current* problems, but I had a business/RFP staff that wouldn't budge
from Word. I didn't need this staff to produce the final documentation per
se, just to edit it and provide some SME input if you will so that I could
produce the final docs. I was still able to make a case for FM and reach a
compromise -

1.) I could generate the files in FM and then create an editable .pdf to
pass along to these folks. They could enter comments and notes directly into
the .pdf and I reviewed these and determined where in my FM source doc I
needed to make changes/edits.

2.) I could use an RTF converter (if Linda Gallagher is on the list today,
she can comment on this), that basically allowed the source FM file to be
opened in Word, edited and saved in Word, and then passed back to me. I
could pass the edited doc back through the converter and open it in FM. This
requires some consideration on formatting issues, but was still a thought.

Ultimately, because of the templates I had set up and the minimum amount of
edits needed based on template requirements, my company's SOPs, etc, we
chose to go w/ #1. This way the Word folks stayed happy and I got to use FM
to deal w/ current problems. With more editing, you probably would want to
consider #2.

HTH,

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com