RE: Need real-world information about Framemaker

Subject: RE: Need real-world information about Framemaker
From: Karen Casemier <karen -dot- casemier -at- provia -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 09:28:57 -0500

Karen Zorn wrote:
>You could also consider using MIF2Go for conversion/reconversion.

electronic copy for review.

MIF2GO is a great tool to convert to RTF, but it is a one way street. It
doesn't convert it back into .mif or .fm format. You would have to do it
manually. I believe WWP is the same thing.

To add something to this discussion, I will second the comments of another
poster that if you need a tool for proposal writing, you would probably do
best to stick to Word. Many times, you'll need to provide electronic copies
for your response, and .pdf isn't going to make them happy.

I use Frame and love it, but it isn't the best solution for every situation.
We really needed the conditional text feature of it, which was the ONLY
reason we switched from Word. We still struggle with working in a tool
different from that the rest of the company uses (Word). Had WebWorks new
tool for Word been available at the time, we may have investigated that
option. I will be happy to discuss "real world" difficulties with you
off-list.

And, to make Andrew happy, I'll say that the tool is less important than the
content. Because he's right about that. If you have to choose between
learning a new tool and learning about the products you need to write about
it, definitely go with the latter. When you are a newbie, it's easy to fall
in love with Frame because it makes you feel like a "real" technical writer.
And I can say that because I went through it myself. Now, I am an expert on
the products I document, and I could care less what tool I use.

That's my Friday morning gift to AP.

Karen R. Casemier
"An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory." - Friedrich Engels

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com