Re: Educational areas to pursue

Subject: Re: Educational areas to pursue
From: GeneK <gene -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 14:27:24 -0800

I will add my voice to those advising you to start with the things your boss
"suggested." First of all, when he says he "would like to see" you do one
of those, it's pretty much the equivalent of a performance objective.
Second, unless your boss is a dolt, he's not expecting you to become a
programmer or database admin, just to become better able to communicate
with them and document what they're doing (and his "suggestion" may even
originate in a perception that those are your weaknesses). Finally, most
bosses will look more favorably upon your requests for employer paid training
in other areas *after* you've taken the ones *they* want you to take.

Gene Kim-Eng

At 12:44 PM 2/21/2003 -0700, kjacobs -at- tekwrite -dot- com wrote:

After being a freelancer for 12 years, I have taken a job as an employee.
My boss says he would like to see me pursue educational areas such as
writing certification, programming, or databases. What seems hot out
there?

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com