RE: Educational areas to pursue

Subject: RE: Educational areas to pursue
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 11:03:30 -0800 (PST)

--- Andrea Frazier <AFrazier -at- CreativeSolutions -dot- com> wrote:
> People who are a bad fit for their job should move
> on; there's no shame in that.

Yes. I agree. And this is the basis of one of my arguments. That job seekers
should seek jobs that suit their needs.

I think the problems arise when people take jobs without really thinking
through the consequences. If you take a job at a shop that uses Word and you
demand to use Frame, you're in for a war. If you lose that war, you could wind
up on the wrong end of a UN resolution to change the tech writer regime.

> I assume you're not referring to my former situation. Sometimes it's the
> employer that makes you study a bunch of fluff and BS, not your own choice..

Then you need to question if that employer suits you any longer. If the job
isn't suiting you any longer, then quit. Find work elsewhere. Don;t work at a
place that is making demands of you that you are not comfortable doing.

I worked at a firm in the early 90s that wanted me to become a technical
support rep. I didn't want to do that. So I got a job at another firm and
parted ways with that company amicably. I didn't throw a fit or call a lawyer.
I did not, however, reject opportunities to try the work. I tried it, didn't
like it, and made a rational decision to exit. No harm done. In the process, I
learned a very valuable lesson - I don't like technical support work. But I
respect what it takes to do it well. Something I would have never fully
understood had I just folded my arms and said no to doing the work at all.

> I didn't say they did. What I was trying to convey (but may have missed it)
> is that it was a bit of a sacrifice on my part.

This may sound a little militant, but you cannot advance without some
sacrifice. If you are totally unwilling to make any sacrifices in your life,
then you will remain stalemated and eventually pushed back. All advancement
requires a certain amount of pain.

I know that sounds like something your gym teacher would say. But there is a
shred of truth in it.

Andrew Plato

http://taxes.yahoo.com/

LAST CHANCE for this steal of a deal! Purchase RoboHelp X3 by February 28
and receive $100 mail-in rebate and FREE WebHelp Merge Module ($339 value)!
RoboHelp, the Industry Standard in Help Authoring, has won over 55 industry
awards. For more information please visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2.

"RoboHelp X3 is simply remarkable." - George Bell, Techno-Vision Systems

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com