Re: Have to know Programming to be able to write about it? -- NO

Subject: Re: Have to know Programming to be able to write about it? -- NO
From: "Nutting, John" <JNutting -at- taylor-hobson -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 07:52:15 -0000

Andrew Plato wrote:

"Writers should take some formal training in the
technologies they document. It will help them document those technologies
better. It will also teach them key concepts, terms, and methods that they
can
use to communicate with the SMEs more effectively."

We as writers have a duty to convey to the user in as succinct and easy to
understand way how that said user is to use the item being described.
Formal training in writing software or in any other subject is just so much
baggage to the writer that serves no real purpose than to inflate ego. The
key to the game is to get your hands dirty and use the darned thing. Put
yourself in the position of the user and use it. What happens behind the
facade is to be honest utterly irrelevant in almost all cases.

I have written about many different technologies including fuel handling
systems, baggage handling systems, radar systems, fire detection systems,
payroll and personnel systems, measuring instruments, etc many of which were
mainly software systems and to date I have stayed away from formal training
in each of the subject's technology. In each instance the requirement was
building a relationship with the SME based on a mutual respect for each
other's understanding of their subject. The SME needs to have confidence
that you know enough about the conveying of information to adequately
describe the use of their product to the end user and do it full justice.
In almost eighteen years of writing effectively I have never failed to build
a relationship with a SME based on mutual respect and I have done it without
learning their subject in an attempt to talk software to a software
developer, metrology to a metrologist or mechanics to a mechanical engineer.

My two farthings.

John

DISCLAIMER: This message may contain privileged and confidential
information. If you think for any reason this message has been addressed in
error you must not copy or disseminate it and we would ask you to notify us
immediately by return email to postmaster -at- taylor-hobson -dot- com -dot- Internet emails
are not necessarily secure. Taylor Hobson Holdings plc is the holding
company for the Taylor Hobson group of companies and is registered in
England No. 3230332, with its address at 2 New Star Road, Leicester, LE4
9JQ, England.

LAST CHANCE for this steal of a deal! Purchase RoboHelp X3 by February 28
and receive $100 mail-in rebate and FREE WebHelp Merge Module ($339 value)!
RoboHelp, the Industry Standard in Help Authoring, has won over 55 industry
awards. For more information please visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2.

"RoboHelp X3 is simply remarkable." - George Bell, Techno-Vision Systems

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com