Re: Have to know Programming to be able to write about it? -- NO

Subject: Re: Have to know Programming to be able to write about it? -- NO
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 08:18:34 -0500

Matthew Horn wrote:

Beth wrote:

Any good technical communicator can write competently about any subject.

Beth, I would love some specific examples of excellent, useful, informed, insightful documentation without having intimate knowledge of the subject matter.

I am not trying to be a wise-guy, but I am trying to figure out how you came to your conclusions.

Matthew,

I think the point is that in the process of writing about the subject you gain intimately knowledge of it. Beth's assertion (just the snippet you quoted because I did not read her original post) is logically equivalent to the assertion that to be a good technical communicator you must be good at learning about any subject (whether by interviewing SMEs or taking apart widgets or spending time in the library). This contrasts with the position taken by some that you need to know the subject intimately before you apply for the job and that once you have your degree/certificate/whatever, you are cooked; your shell has hardened; your education is complete.

Dick

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

LAST CHANCE for this steal of a deal! Purchase RoboHelp X3 by February 28
and receive $100 mail-in rebate and FREE WebHelp Merge Module ($339 value)!
RoboHelp, the Industry Standard in Help Authoring, has won over 55 industry
awards. For more information please visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2.

"RoboHelp X3 is simply remarkable." - George Bell, Techno-Vision Systems

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com