Problems with XP/Word 2002 styles

Subject: Problems with XP/Word 2002 styles
From: "Long, Michael" <Michael -dot- Long -at- medstat -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 12:54:27 -0500

Since upgrading to XP and Word 2002 we have had increasing problems
controlling Word styles. Can anyone provide simple tips or a reference
source that will at least explain the style facility in Word 2002? It seems
to manipulate styles differently than previous Word versions and does so
even more unreliably and unpredictably, as unimaginable as that seems.
It would be nice to know how to stop it from dynamically creating styles, if
nothing else. Are template/Word versions a factor?

Or, can anyone recommend one book over all: --Word 2002 The Complete
Reference, --Word Version 2002 Inside Out, or --Special Edition Using Word
2002?

Examples:
--Bullets and/or their hanging indents will disappear throughout a file. The
style in the file will not be affected by copying the style in again from
the template, and must be modified to reflect the template. After fixing
that, you discover that some hidden text, but not all, has become unhidden.
--When copying new content between files attached to the same template,
bullets will appear on all Indent styles throughout the receiving file.
Numbered lists applied to Normal willfully continue the previous numbered
list.
--Today we discovered that a template itself had reverted its body and list
styles to the default 12 point, and had changed the lowest level heading to
Normal following.

For a year or so we've been gradually "cleaning up" our templates and
standardizing styles throughout files, partly in preparation for converting
to FrameMaker. A moderate amount of research went into replacing Word's most
troublesome styles and all was working fairly smoothly--until XP and Word
2002.

Mike Long
Team Leader, User Documentation
The MEDSTAT Group
http://www.medstat.com
734-913-3975 Phone
734-913-3200 FAX
michael -dot- long -at- medstat -dot- com

LAST CHANCE for this steal of a deal! Purchase RoboHelp X3 by February 28
and receive $100 mail-in rebate and FREE WebHelp Merge Module ($339 value)!
RoboHelp, the Industry Standard in Help Authoring, has won over 55 industry
awards. For more information please visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2.

"RoboHelp X3 is simply remarkable." - George Bell, Techno-Vision Systems

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com