Re: FWD: Making the move to permanent work from contract

Subject: Re: FWD: Making the move to permanent work from contract
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 06:43:20 -0800 (PST)

Anonymous,

I was in a similar situation a few years ago in that I was working as a contractor
in a large telecommunications organization. I got an offer from another company for
a very interesting job as a full-time employee. It required me to take a 10% cut but
got me full benefits. Of course, the difference was that I would be leaving the
company I was working with to take this new opportunity.

I had to weigh the overall package and my desire to make a change against the loss
of income. After a lot of consideration, I took the offer and left the
telecommunications situation. In my case, looking back after nearly five and a half
years, I made the right decision, for me. I'm doing well with a thriving company.
Had I stayed, I would have only delayed my leaving because the telecommunications
company fell on hard times, along with the rest of that industry, a couple of years
ago. They're still in business, but they're having a lot of trouble of various
kinds.

You have to weigh a lot of factors, some of them intangibles. I don't think I would
have stayed at the telecom for less money; I didn't much care for the overall
working environment. So that was a big intangible to me.

I think you are also seeing what I call the contractor effect. The common belief
among HR types and even a lot of managers is that while contractors may be a
necessary adjunct to their regular employees, contractors are considered to be
overpaid. So even though they 'rate' you a "High" in your present situation, that
may be because they feel thats how they have to justify you internally to pay you
what you're getting. Perhaps if you were inside in your current job, they wouldn't
rate you that high. But I'm speculating.

Weigh all the factors, is my best advice. Money isn't everything, but the bills do
need to be paid.

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com
http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html Last Updated 02/26/2003
--God save The United States of America--

http://taxes.yahoo.com/

Order RoboHelp Office X3 by March 14 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
plus FREE WebHelp Merge Module and FREE iMarkup Software, for a
total giveaway value of $439! Order today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com